Monday, December 04, 2006

Relaxation

I've started going to the gym.

I found a very nice one in one of the main areas of Munich, about 20 minutes walk from my hotel.

I chose it mainly because it takes monthly payment. I won't mention how much I pay because I'd have to admit to myself how much I paid.

But it is very big, it has lots of training equipment, two punch bags (two!), sauna etc.

First time I used the gym I basically trained as hard as possible. Then, to reduce the chance of post-training muscle ache, I went to the sauna.

Once I found it, which isn't easy these days when I'm not wearing contact lenses or glasses. Before going in I read the instructions on the wall outside, which were written in German and English. But they were pretty standard sauna guidelines.

The sauna was very hot and I'm a bit out of practice.

Eventually I noticed that the other people in the sauna (it's not packed as hardly anyone goes to the gym) were completely naked, not even covering themselves with towels. One of them clearly needed to lose weight as he had man-breasts ... oh hang on, those were women's breasts.

Then it seemed there were more breasts but my double vision had kicked in so I'm not sure how many women were actually in the sauna.

So, I find myself, an Englishman, in a sauna, with totally naked Germans, men and women.

!

And I'm wearing shorts.

!!


In England you cover yourself up in communal saunas or they call the police. So, I'd brought over the baggy shorts I used to wear in my local gym's sauna in England.

But instead I suffered the embarrassment of being clothed in a room full of naked people. Very wierd.

After the sauna, I showered, in the usual way (i.e. naked), in the men's changing room. When I finished I turned round to find a cleaning woman brushing excess water from the shower area.

Don't these people have any sense of decency?

The next day I went to the shops and brought a big towel.

I'm also thinking of asking the gym for a discount: well it's not like I can see anything.

No comments: